St. Lucie County is Mobile & Social
St. Lucie County's Communications Division is always looking for ways to reach residents and visitors, whether it is through our websites, government access channel (SLCTV Comcast 28 / U-Verse 99), social media, mobile apps or traditional media outlets such as newspapers and television stations.
- My St. Lucie App (Records & Service Requests)
- Visit St. Lucie App (Visitor & Tourist Information)
- Alert St. Lucie (Emergency Notification System)
- Sign up for phone calls, texts or emails at www.stlucieco.gov/alert
St. Lucie County Reminds Residents to Pre-Register for Special Needs and Pet-Friendly Shelters
St. Lucie County Public Safety Officials remind residents that if they plan to stay in the county’s pet-friendly or special needs shelters during a hurricane or other natural disaster, now is the time to pre-register.
In the event shelters need to be opened, the Havert L. Fenn Center, located at 2000 Virginia Ave. in Fort Pierce, will be used as the special needs shelter, while Westwood High School, located at 1801 Panther Lane in Fort Pierce, will be the dedicated pet-friendly shelter. Residents can pre-register for both shelters online at www.stlucieco.gov/eoc.
Only residents and caregivers with specific medical needs will be allowed access into the special needs shelter. This includes residents with severe medical conditions that require the assistance of a caregiver and/or medical equipment that relies on electricity. Patients that rely on power for medical needs should avoid riding out a storm at home as space in the special needs shelter becomes limited and transportation becomes more difficult to the shelter after the passing of the storm.
Pre-registration for the pet-friendly shelter is a new process this year to help expedite the process and make sure all of the pets inside the shelter have current vaccinations and medical checkups. Residents wishing to utilize the pet-friendly shelter must bring a crate, food and updated vaccination records for their pets.
When making plans to stay in one of St. Lucie County’s shelters please bring the following items with you:
- Three-day supply of water per person.
- Prescription medicines and emergency medications; you must be able to take all medications by yourself
- Special-diet foods (e.g., snacks and juices for those with dietary restrictions or allergies)
- Basic snacks
- Bedding materials (e.g., pillows, blankets, sleeping bags, cots, air mattresses, etc.) – cots will not be provided (except for the special needs shelter)
- Comfortable clothing (at least two changes)
- Collapsible/folding beach chair or camp chair
- Baby food, formula, bottles, diapers, blankets and clothes
- Flashlight, extra batteries
- Cellphone, with a battery-operated charge
- Small radio with extra batteries and headphones
- Important documents (e.g., identification, medical records, insurance information, deeds or leases, birth certificates and utility bills showing your home address) – these documents are not required but will be helpful after an emergency
- Photocopies of valuable documents
- Eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures
- Toiletries and personal hygiene items (e.g., washcloth and/or towelettes, small towel, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, sanitary napkins, tampons, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.)
- Quiet games, books, playing cards, favorite toys or other items for entertainment
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers/cables for any electronic devices you bring with you – functional electric outlets are limited in shelters.
Public Safety officials remind residents that general population shelters are places of last-resort. If you have a friend or relative outside of the evacuation areas, it’s recommended that you seek shelter with them as part of your Family Preparedness Plan. a
To stay informed about all emergency notifications issues for St. Lucie County including major road closures, boil water notices, flooding and storm events, sign up for Alert St. Lucie at www.stlucieco.gov/alert to receive message via email, phone call or text.