PurposeThe purpose of the Historical Commission is to protect the significant historic and archaeological resources of St. Lucie County; which includes, but is not limited to the designation of local historic sites, issue Certificates of Appropriateness and regulate and manage the historical, cultural, architectural and archaeological resources in St. Lucie County.
Created ByThe Historical Commission was created by Ordinances 05-003, 06-045 & 10-003.
- The Historical Commission shall consist of seven (7) members.
- Each member shall serve at the will of the person or entity appointing the member.
- Two (2) members shall be appointed by the Board of County Commissioners as at-large members and shall be laypersons who have demonstrated special interest, experience, or knowledge in history, architecture, or related disciplines.
- Each County Commissioner shall appoint one (1) of the other five (5) members to the Historical Commission and, to the extent possible, they shall include one (1) professional member from each of the following fields:
- Anthropology, archaeology, history, preferably local history, or folklore;
- Conservation or curation;
- Architecture, preferably historic Florida architecture, landscape architecture;
- Land use planning or historic preservation planning;
- Professional engineer or certified General or Residential Contractor.
- Four (4) year terms that do not run concurrent with the appointing commissioner
- When the code was revised in 2010 some members were appointed to serve partial terms in order to prevent appointments from expiring at the same time
Required for a Quorum
- Third Tuesday of every quarter (Jan, Mar, July & Oct)
- Planning and Development Services Conference Room 1 of the Roger Poitras Administration Annex located at 2300 Virginia Avenue, Fort Pierce, Florida
Is Financial Disclosure Required to Serve?
Leslie Olson, Planning & Development Services Director
Bethany Grubbs, Planning Tecnician
|Johnson Bell - Land Use Planning or Historic Preservation Planning
|Darrell Winfree - Archaeologist
|Richard McAfoos- Anthropology, Archaeology, History
|Betty Jo Stark - Layperson
|Melanie Trewyn - Layperson||At-Large||11/2018|
|J. Brian Freeman - Historian
|Mike Middlebrook- Conservation/Curation