VA Non-service Connected Pension

Non-Service Connected Disability Pension  provides financial support to wartime veterans having limited income. The amount VA will pay you under this program depends on the type and amount of income you and your family members receive from other sources. Payments are made to you to bring your total annual income, including other retirement and Social Security income, to an established support level. Countable income may be reduced by un-reimbursed medical expenses.

Eligibility: Veterans must have 90 days or more of active duty service under honorable conditions, of which at least 1 day must have occurred during a period of war. Veterans may qualify with less than 90 days if discharged for a disability in line of duty. You must have a disability(ies) that VA evaluates as permanent and total. For VA pension purposes, permanent and total means it is not likely that you will be able to maintain a substantially gainful job. Unemployability and age are factors also considered in VA's eligibility decision.

The following supporting evidence and/or documents should be submitted with your application:

Medical Records - Medical records to provide a diagnosis and prognosis of your current
medical condition and to substantiate any and all treatment by private doctors and hospitals.

Dependency Documents - Original or copies of birth and marriage certificates and copies of
divorce/death record terminating your prior and those of your spouse.

Military Discharge/DD Form 214 - (Copy 4 - Member Copy) Those applicants who have a
copy of their DD-214 are encouraged to provide a copy with their claim to expedite processing.
Otherwise, VA will attempt to obtain verification from the service department. Copies of missing
DD Forms 214 may be obtained from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO.